Monday, May 16, 2011

Recipe of the Week

To start, it's Monday. Weekly weigh-in and progress page update day!

I normally just talk about this in the progress page, but, ZOMG, excited. I've lost 16 lbs so far. Which means that I only have 9 lbs to lose in 9 weeks in order to reach my first goal of 115 lbs by July 15th.

I was wanting to maintain 1.6 lbs/week weight loss, but I've exceeded that. If I do maintain 1.6 lbs/week weight loss, instead of the 1 lb/week I actually need to do, then I can reach my ultimate goal of 110 lbs by July 15th.

ebaogihaomocmcaioehgoiaheojclcjlaciaeomgoiheioaoaeimoeiafhioej. I'm so excited.

Not only have I officially lost 16 lbs since starting this blog, but I've also just gotten my 16th follower. Thanks to all of you who have followed me so far and left me lovely comments. In particular, thanks to Mich, Peridot, and Displayed. It's nice to see that I'm no longer blogging into the empty vacuum of space, hah.

In honor of this momentous occasion - I bring you the....


Random recipe gal, you are my idol. Stay golden.

Peanut Butter and Banana Protein Shake


Ingredients

1 scoop EAS Soy Protein Powder - Vanilla (their Whey protein powder is higher in protein, but it's not vegan, so if that's a concern of yours, stick with the soy.)

1 cup fat-free Extra Skim Milk (or Soy, Rice, or Almond milk - preferably low-cal)

1 banana - If you freeze it overnight then you don't have to use quite as many ice cubes. Don't freeze it in the skin. Peel it and wrap it in aluminum foil or put it in a Ziploc bag. Trying to peel a frozen banana is impossible and it freezes your little fingers.

2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal - Whoah there, extra protein, fiber, and Omega-3s!

2 teaspoons Benefiber

1 tablespoon Peanut Butter (I prefer chunky - surprise, surprise)

Dash or two of Apple Pie Spice, to taste

Enough ice cubes to make a thick, smoothie-like consistency. Don't be afraid if it takes up to 3/4 of a tray! The ice cubes will thin out the ingredients to make it more servings and will make it thick enough that you feel like you're actually eating something substantial-ish.

If you don't have enough ice cubes, or want to add more vitamins (but also more calories), you can replace some of the ice cubes with frozen fruit.

Directions

Uhhh, it's a protein shake. And you're using ice cubes to thicken it. BLEND THE FUCKER. Until well-blended.

A thing of beauty.
Then consume.

Pour excess servings into cups, cover with foil, freeze until ready. Microwave for a few seconds, then plop it back into the blender for a bit before serving.

Nutritional Information

If you like your protein shakes large and in charge, this recipe makes two tall servings. If you're more of an 8 ounce-er, this recipe will make 4 servings. I've included the nutritional information for both variations.

If you want to get the full nutritional benefit of the milled flaxseed and fiber in each serving, feel free to double (or if you're going with the 4 serving variation, you could even attempt quadrupling - but I make no guarantees that it won't turn into a horrendous flaxseed beast) these ingredients. Keep in mind, the nutritional information listed below does not include any extra flaxseed, fiber, or other ingredients, such as frozen fruit, you might add. The nutritional information below is also based on the use of EAS Soy Protein and Extra-Skim Milk.

2 Servings


4 Servings


Vitamins in Entire Shake Recipe


Don't freak out over the fat content. It's mostly Polyunsaturated and Monounsaturated fats, plus a ridiculous amount of Omega-3s from the flaxseed, so it's good for you. Plus, Poly and Monounsaturated fats have been shown to help in burning belly fat. Um, yes please.

I know I whore out SparkPeople all the friggin' time. C'mon people, it's because it's awesome. Never has obsessing over calorie counting become easier! Also, uh, you get to make sweet graphs - see Progress page - and SparkRecipes lets you do pretentious things like make your own recipes and calculate nutritional information. If you make variations to this recipe and still want accurate nutritional information, GO TO SPARKRECIPES.

Seriously. Go there.

Now.

It will make your life so much easier.


A bientôt, lovelies.

- parisienne.love

5 comments:

  1. Wow, 16 lbs!? That's amazing progress! You should be proud =) Thank you so much for that recipe! I'm definitely going to save it. Peanut butter = amazingness but I never thought of making it into a shake before. Lots of healthy fats & fiber too! I'm going to get some flax seed stuffs & PB next time I get paid! I've never really been on the Sparkpeople website, but I think I'll give it a go- it does seem to make calorie counting (especially with the recipes) much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That's a wonderful weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! 16lbs is amazing :D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bahaha I KNEW there was a reason I was particularly drawn to your blog, what other girl not only gives you a safe shake recipe but give you it's own nurtitional chart! I fear I'm going to get spoiled :)

    And a teeny tiny congrats for your new teeny tiny weight heehee keep it goin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG congrats! you're doing so well!

    And my sis loved that smoothie recipe! She's been looking for a good banana smoothie recipe for ages.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete